The Switch-Axe replaces the knife from NS1. It provides self-defense against lower Kharaa lifeforms as a last resort and excels at dealing consistent damage against Kharaa structures. Once weapons level upgrades are researched from the Arms Lab by the Marine Commander, the switch-axe will increase in damage potency.
- If safe, use the Switch-Axe to take down Alien Structures; it deals more damage over time and saves ammo.
- Try to stay in a group; if you get caught hacking away at Alien Structures alone, you'll most likely lose the engagement.
- Time your Hits to deal maximum DPS, rather than just holding down the fire button.
- Use the Switch-Axe as a last resort in an engagement; it's better to try to reload your Pistol and dodge at the same time.
- Don't run with the Switch-Axe out; the Pistol is the same speed and offers more damage output if ambushed.
| Tip: It is not recommended to use the Axe unless you are an experienced player.
The time needed to switch to another weapon is quite long and your positioning close to a structure is not optimal. A Marine who is alive is more valuable than a dead Marine.