Health is the primary indicator of a player, unit, or structure's well-being. Players and units spawn with full health, and lose health when hit by attacks from enemy players or structures such as Sentries, Hydras, and Whips.
Unbuilt structures start with a low amount of health that gradually increases as the structure is being built. Unbuilt structures will only be healed or repaired if they receive damage, otherwise health will increase along with the building progress.
Once the player, unit, or structure's health reaches to 0, regardless of the amount of armor still intact, the player, unit, or structure will collapse and die. A Marine will then respawn at an Infantry Portal and an Alien will hatch as a skulk from an Egg.
Armour is the secondary indicator of a player, unit, or structure's integrity. Armour reduces the amount of damage dealt to health by 70% by default for players. The only exceptions to this rule are Fade swipes against structures (90%) and crush (increases armor percent by 7% per level).
Players and units spawn with full armour, and lose armour when hit by attacks from enemy players or structures.
Unbuilt structures start with a low amount of armour that gradually increases as the structure is being built. Unbuilt structures will only be healed or repaired if they receive damage, otherwise armour will increase along with the building progress.
Due to the nature of different damage types, armour can be considered an extension of health. For example, using the Normal damage type, that causes 1 armour point to absorb 2 points of damage, a Marine with 100 health and 30 armour can be considered to have an effective health of 100 + 2(30) = 160 EHP against most attacks.
Other Effects and Exceptions
Some abilities and units change the way damage is dealt or received.
- Mucous Membrane negates all damage a unit receives until a threshold is reached.
- Exosuits only have armor and only die when their armor reaches 0.
- ARCs only have armor when undeployed.
- Nanoshield reduces all damage by 32% while active.
- Babblers cannot take more than 5 damage per instance, even from a fully charged railgun shot.
- Clogs cannot take more than 50 damage per instance.
- Umbra reduces all damage an affected unit takes from bullet weapons by 25%
- Spores and the poison from the Lerk#Poison_bite bypass armor.
- Bone Shield reduces damage from the front of an Onos by 80% for most damage sources
- Map hazards such as the lava falls on ns2_refinery reduce armor and health directly by a percentage.
- Self damage from a marine grenade deals only 33% damage
List of Damage Types
Armor typically absorbs 70% of incoming attacks, and the remaining 30% affects health. Damage types typically do not affect this damage distribution.